Jan 30, 2022

Happy Lunar New Year!


It is the Year of Tiger!

It’s the third year of me creating spring couplets. In Taiwan, we used to get free spring couplets from friends or buy some in traditional market. But it’s hard to get those in the U.S., so I just create one by myself. (This is what an illustrator is for, right?)

The materials for spring couplets are very simple. 
    - A piece of drawing paper (self-painted red background)
    - Holbein Acryla Gouache (black as a replacement of ink)
    - Watercolor brush (a replacement for Chinese brush)

In the previous two years, I had included our two cats, Albert and Richard, in the spring couplet illustrations. This year, I make a decision that they will appear in my spring couplets every year! (And a complete collection after twelve years.😂)



For me, tigers and cats are similar species, so I want them to have similar poses. In this illustration, I drew the draft directly on the paper. I used a red colored pencil (Caran d'Ache Luminance), and purposely drew the lines heavily. For one thing, the lines could be visible after layering down the red background. For another, it won’t look weird if some lines could be seen from the final work. 

Here are close-up looks for the Year of Tiger.



I wish my family will have a promising and fulfilling year! Good luck and keep pursuing our goals!

***

【虎年春聯】

新年快樂!自從來美國後,因為不好買春聯、樣式不一定喜歡,所以就開始自己畫春聯。今年是第三年了!

材料很簡單:
    - 自製紅紙 (把畫紙塗上紅色)
    - 黑色壓克力水彩 (代替墨汁)
    - 水彩筆 (代替毛筆)

前兩年的春聯,兩隻貓都有出現在裡面。今年我決定就照這個模式,以後春聯都要有兩隻貓出現!而且今年虎年,跟貓也很搭。老虎和貓,遠房一家親!在試了一些草稿後,決定讓他們擺一樣的姿勢。

這次我是直接在紙上,用暗紅色色鉛筆畫草圖。草稿打得比較深,因為上紅色背景會吃掉一些草稿線條。而且就算完成圖露出一點色鉛筆筆跡,也相對自然。

鏘~這就是今年春聯小祕辛啦!今年的題字是「福虎生風🐯」! (本來想加「行大運」,但沒位置了😂。)

仔細看可以發現一些修飾的痕跡。沒關係,照樣喜氣洋洋!😊

希望這幅春聯,帶領我們一家迎接朝氣如虎、創造豐收的一年!
新年快樂🐯❤️

Jenny☺



No comments:

Post a Comment