Sep 30, 2021

The Animals I Met


This is a mini oil pastel series about the animals I met. 

How does this series begin? Well, initially I just wanted to try some art materials I seldom use. Oil pastel has always been a medium I am interested at. Painting with oil pastels makes me feel like I was going back to childhood drawing with crayons. The art-creating process is very “straightforward”: me holding the pastels, the distance between myself and paper is very close. I paint as I think, my emotions could simultaneously reflect on paper, as I paint it hard or gently. The whole process is intuitive, and I like the texture and crumbs of oil pastels. 

So, I gave oil pastels a try! 


And the oil pastels I used also had a history. I have had this box set since I was in high school. It is at least 15-years old and still functions well, haha! The only oil pastel technique I know is what my high school art teacher had taught me: blending colors by applying a second color directly on the first color. Just one technique for this animal series.

At the beginning, I took my cats, Richard and Albert as my models. I observed their face and painted. Then I thought, maybe. I could do an animals series, starting from the animals I have/had met. I was planing to complete 9 animals but ended up with 6, because I was out of paper 😂. These animals, I have continued living with them or had met them shortly. But all of them have unique personality. As I paint, I try to think what kinds of animal are they? What do I see from them?

Yup! I should write stories about each animals. For next blog! 😂

***

最近完成了一組動物迷你系列作品。這系列是用油性粉彩創作的~

當初想做這系列,算是突發奇想😂。我想玩玩平常少用的媒材,油彩是我一直很想嘗試的(很像小時候的蠟筆)。怎麼說呢?我覺得油彩是很接近「原始」的創作,手握著它,我和畫布的距離變得好近,短短的3到5公分,想到什麼直接畫,非常直覺。力道大或小,情緒張力反應在畫布上;刷刷刷地筆觸摩擦,散落的屑屑,感覺很原汁原味!(很多小孩也是從蠟筆開始畫畫,就是這種原始味吧!😂)

所以就決定來玩玩~

我使用的這盒油彩也有典故,因為它可是我高中美術課留下來的工具。過了十幾年還可以用,太神奇了😂。每次下筆,都想起美術老師說用筆推顏色去做混色。我不知道還有什麼其他技巧,只知道一直推,哈哈!

一開始不知道畫什麼,就拿家裡的貓Richard和Albert當模特兒,觀察牠們的臉,塗塗推推抹抹。畫著畫著,突然覺得可以畫個動物系列!但要畫什麼呢?......從身邊的動物開始比較有感覺。本來預計畫9個,可惜紙張不足,只畫了6個。這6隻動物,我跟牠們或長或短的生活過。牠們在我心中都有一種個性。畫著他們,想著牠是一隻什麼樣的動物?我從牠們身上看到了什麼?......

之後再來寫寫小故事,分享我和牠們的生活☺️。

Thanks for reading!
Jenny☺

No comments:

Post a Comment